Tuesday, June 12, 2012

First Day Planning

I've been thinking about the first day of school.  It has been occupying my mind almost as much as my worries about learning Vietnamese.  So far, I have 10 minutes planned.  I know I will have more once we go to our orientation.  I can accurately say there will be a lot of things the school wants us to cover.  Never the less, I can't wait to read this book to my class.
Thanks to my first mentor teacher Emily for this great first day idea!  I love this book and I think it will start a great dialogue for the students.  I'm not sure how many of them are new to the school but sharing my nervousness might break the ice.  Hopefully they don't go home and tell their parents that I know nothing and am terrified of teaching.  They wouldn't be too far off the mark though....

The school we're teaching at has big tests each year to see if students are progressing enough for the next year. I thought this book by the same author would be fabulous to help them get over their test anxiety.  Testing will be a huge part of the rest of their lives.


Next, I have my last day of school read aloud.  I will most certainly be the teacher who struggles not to cry.  I dislike saying goodbye.  I haven't successfully said goodbye without crying......ever.  My track record is not stellar.  Perhaps I will get more used to it as people come and go from our lives.  Jeff is spectacular at saying goodbye.  It might come with living and working in a foreign country.  I might toughen up or I may stay the same ball of emotional mush.  We shall see.


One illustration I love in Last Day Blues is when a student draws himself on a camel in Egypt as his summer vacation trip.  I suspect my students will have equally as awesome summer vacation plans.  I can't wait to hear where they go and what they might do.  Can I be jealous of 2nd graders?  Is that allowed?
-Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment