Monday, June 11, 2012

Helpful books to read before moving to a country you have never been to

I love to research.  Love it.  Especially when it is about a new place to visit/move to.  My most resent obsession has been...you guessed it...Vietnam.  I have read  Expert Expat three times through.  It is an incredible resource for moving to any country.  The only thing I would give as a criticism for this book would be that it focuses too much on the trailing spouse.  There are not a lot of anecdotes about both people working abroad.  Although, I now know what to do when I'm unemployed in a foreign country-volunteer!



I have also read many travel books about Vietnam.  I haven't found any that I would recommend. They are all great for people spending two weeks in Vietnam but don't offer much insight into the culture except to dress modestly and don't touch kids on their heads.  Which totally changes how I was going to behave.  I had to put away all of my inappropriate outfits!  *sigh*    Here is a list of some of the travel guides I have read for Vietnam:
Lonely Planet Vietnam
The Rough Guide to Vietnam
Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, & Laos
Lonely Planet Hanoi
Fielding's Vietnam


I personally find Fielding's Vietnam to be one of the most informative even though the edition I have is a bit older.  I think the author covers the culture better and has more relevant content.  Relevant content as defined by me, meaning it will help me during the next two years I live in Vietnam.


I have read more travel guides but the majority are very repetitive.  I get it, I should see some pagodas and an embalmed Ho Chi Minh.  Don't get me wrong, I do want to see that stuff but I wanted more on food/markets/shopping stuff.  Also, how not to look like a complete idiot while living in Vietnam.

The best fiction book I have read about the Vietnam war has been The Lotus Eaters.  I loved this book and thought it was an amazing way for me to learn about the war.  I read it twice back to back.

The best blog I have found about living in Vietnam is:
http://www.thecitythatneversleepsin.com/
I think this blog has been the single most informative blog I have read so far.  Many people try to tart up their daily life for this blogs.  This blogger says it like it is and I appreciate it so much.

As for language learning....well that hasn't been going so well.  I checked out every Vietnamese language CD at our local library.  The selection was limited to the Pimsleur approach and I'm not sure that is how I learn the language the best.  I cannot keep any of the words or sentences in my head.  I repeat and repeat.  Nothing stays in my brain for more than 5 minutes.  I can already tell that language is going to be a problem for me.  Ahh well, hopefully I'll find a kind soul who speaks Vietnamese to help me. I can only hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment