Saturday, January 5, 2013

Teacher, Tailor, Solider, Spy?

This year for Christmas, Jeff and I decided to get some clothes tailor made for us.  Buying off of the rack in Vietnam is, well, impossible for us.  Even if I could shoe horn my way into clothes, they would be too short. Neither of us fit in the mold here.  No worries though, there are enough tailors in this country willing to outfit us in style.

Before we went on our Christmas vacation, we ventured into the Old Quarter.  In the past, the Old Quarter has usually resulted in tears (for me) and general unhappiness (for Jeff).  The Old Quarter is a rough place.  It is jammed packed with people, motor bikes, and a heap of backpackers.  We typically get lost, hungry, and dehydrated.  Never the less, we sallied forth to Hang Gai street.  Hang Gai street is a street devoted to silk and tailoring.  Jeff was the first to be outfitted.  He ordered a suit and three shirts all for $320.  We picked them up today and the suit and shirts fit Jeff perfectly!

We picked out every part of the suit, from the cloth on the outside to the silk lining on the inside.
Every girl is crazy about a sharp dressed man!

My tailor adventure was less successful.  I ordered three dresses and I was really excited about all three of them.  Unfortunately,when I showed up at the shop only two dresses were made.  They were two simple dresses and the tailoring quality just wasn't there.  The dresses cost about $28 each.  Not too bad but I won't go back to that shop.  I think my next tailoring adventure will be at the same shop that Jeff got his suit made at.  

Overall, our day in the Old Quarter was a success.  No tears on my part and we actually knew where we were.  A huge improvement over almost every other trip! 

No comments:

Post a Comment