Saturday, September 15, 2012

How to make "Clam Chowder" in Hanoi

I woke up and all I wanted was clam chowder.  For those of you who have known me for awhile, you know it isn't odd for me to want random things for breakfast.  This is how I made the best version I could.
1. Saturday morning I went to the local market and bought a kilo of clams (2.2 pounds) for 35,000VND - $1.75
2. The only cream based soup I could find at the 'imported goods' store "Veggies" was cream of celery.  18 cans of that, but nothing else cream based. 66,000VND - $3.30
3. Boil the clams, take out the meat, toss it in a pan. Add the Campbell's soup and some garlic salt along with previously boiled water.

It was pretty tasty, but in what universe is a can of sub-par condensed soup worth twice as much as a kilo of fresh clams.
My thought.... "It's Hanoi, of course it makes sense."
-Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment