Thursday, September 18, 2014

Coetail post 1

I've finally joined a COETAIL cohort.  I'm teaching ICT and doing a bit of tech integration at school.  Right time, right place, but two blogs.  Since everything I spew out is damn near pure gold, I've decided to repost all non-assignment posts here to our own lil Wrensen blog.


Hello world!

It recommends editing/deleting the first blog and starting anew, but for a tech group, I don’t think that there is anything more appropriate than “Hello World”.  I’ve got a personal blog as well that mixes teaching, tech and traveling.  Not pushing it for any reason other than the posts on my experiences with the Raspberry Pi that may be interesting to this group.  If your interested it is at: wrensended.blogspot.com.
I’ve taught Scratch as an after-school activity for the past two years in Hanoi and just introduced it to my 4th and 5th graders here in Lahore today.
I’m also beginning to work with HS math students who will be doing short review/re-teaching videos for their classmates.  Hopefully it will be a version of the flipped classroom and a chance for those students who struggle in class to review material.  Most importantly, I’m looking forward to the students being the teachers, reaching full understanding through explaining their work.
What I considered before student produced videos:
  • Easy to record (I used to do them myself with a document camera and a piece of paper)
  • iPad exploration for myself – I was given one at school (I’m prone to Android and Linux)
  • A way of exporting/sharing the videos that doesn’t involve the viewer downloading an app or registering for anything.
  • I’m stuck at links but would like them to be embedded in a Google Site
  • Free apps
Apps that I’ve tested and liked so far: Showme and Educreations.
We start creating math-help videos tomorrow with the high-schoolers and start recording video of elementary kids goals and hopes for the year (I’m the video coach/facilitator and editor).
I think I’ll have plenty to reflect on by the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment