Sunday, May 12, 2013

What I'm Reading

Here are some of the books that I have read recently for my professional reading and one book that I'm personally reading.  My philosophy is to try to alternate professional/personal reading choices as a way to stay balanced.  Otherwise, my reading list tends to pile up and then I spend an entire weekend downloading books onto the Ipad. I may have, cough, cough, done just that this past weekend.

Larry Ferlazzo's-English Language Learners: Teaching Strategies that Work- this book was fairly typical as far as teaching tips for English language learners go.  Nothing new to me but it was a good reminder for me on how to refine my teaching practice even more.  The tips centered around high school students and some of the tips could be used in the elementary setting.  I have already used one of his tips and that was to add more choice in the classroom.  It has been working pretty well.  There have been benefits for me, as well as for the children.

I have joined/started another book club here.  Previously, I had started one with two other teachers from our school.  There was a lack of enthusiasm for the books that were chosen (on my part because we were limited to books other teachers had left behind in Vietnam and no one had a Kindle) and we had conflicting  schedules.  Needless to say, the club only lasted three months.  The new book club has parents, colleagues, and people I haven't met yet in it.  This is our May selection-The Light Between Oceans: A Novel.  I have only read the prologue and I am very intrigued.


No comments:

Post a Comment