Monday, March 4, 2013

Vietnam Technology Conference in Ho Chi Minh Last Weekend

Hue and Hoi An posts will have to wait.

VinTech was great.  SSIS in Ho Chi Minh and UNIS Hanoi set it all up.  One day of sessions, and a day of un-conferencing and speed-geeking.  I presented a speed-geeking talk on IWBs in the morning routine and how to do a cheap green screen.

We got a lot of great ideas.  One or so that we can use currently.  If we can get tablets or computers in the room, we'll have a ton of ideas to apply.  Presenters were other teachers from Vietnam rather than hired speakers.  It was a great way to get ideas from people who used them that week.
I've also decided to jump into Linux - Unbuntu.  The open source stuff that I learned about this weekend has hooked me.  Free, open source powerful video editors and word-like suite.

At the end of the conference they gave away prizes: 5, 16gb thumb drives, 500g external drive, blue tooth keyboard, 2 ipods and 1 ipad mini.  As people drew names out, the smaller gifts were given away.  The basket came to our table just in time for the last prize.  I reached up over my head and pulled a piece of paper out.  I handed it to the organizers and they read it.....Jeffrey Wrensen!!!!!  I won the iPad!  So now I've got every OS there is currently in my living room.  To be fair, it isn't a normal MacOS, but I'm on my way to being current with all of this technology.

One place you wouldn't expect to see frozen fish.....the airport. Enjoy this little gem as we took no other pictures this weekend.



This picture was taken in the Domestic area, after check-in. The only way to get this fish home is to store it in the overhead compartment. Now it is vietjet so every flight is 20mins to 3hrs late. For an 8:30 flight, needless to say, we boarded at 10pm.  Is this a situation where you want to have 2 kilos of fish thawing, then 2 hours on the plane, then deal with baggage claim?  NO! Especially when they let you bring knives on board... But that is a different true story of our time in Hanoi.


Overall. We are glad to be home here in Hanoi. Or as Evan calls it, HHaaannnOiii.

No comments:

Post a Comment