Saturday, August 11, 2012

Fruits of Their Labor


Every day, a nice Vietnamese person delivers fruit to our room.  We don't know if it is included in the price of the room or added on later. Never the less, we aren't concerned with the details.  They also deliver water, which is much appreciated.  I tend to not ask many questions when people deliver things to our room without asking.  I see them as free.  For the past few days we got two yellow plums on a plate.  Today we go this.
The same two yellow plums and what the what???

I have no idea what the armored fruit is. We had seen it on the streets in the baskets of the fruit sellers.  I was curious then and I am more curious when they delivered it to my door.   So I decided to cut into it.  Fun fact, some seeds in fruit are poisonous.  Did you know that?  Anyway, I cut the armored fruit open to see what we could see.  All I could see was this.
Giant seeds aren't boding well for not poisoning me.  What part do I eat?  
I had Jeff Google it.  Apparently, this is a Sugar Apple which is high in calories and iron.  I need iron but I don't need calories.  You eat the white part. Do not eat the seeds! They are in fact poisonous! 
This is how it tastes.  Super duper sweet.  Like, I can't believe it is that sweet...sweet.  To try to recreate the sweetness at home, dip your fingers in water, then in sugar, and then in sugar again.  You will not even get your finger sweet enough.  I have never tasted anything like this before in my life.  I heart sweets to the max.  I could only eat two bites of this fruit.  I believe I will leave this to Vietnamese people who need the calories and iron.  They should eat these for their health.  I should not eat this fruit for my health. I will get DIABETES!
-Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment